Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a collection of strategies that improves the level at which your website is ranked in the results returned when a user searches for a keyword or phrases. The definition may sound familiar to you, but what you probably do not know (yet) is how to achieve SEO. You can’t do it all at once but instead, SEO has to happen in stages (even during web design and development stages), and you have to concentrate one effort at a time. If you try to implement too many strategies at one time, two things are going to happen:
- You won’t be able to tell which of your strategies are successful. Implementing one strategy at a time enables you to pinpoint which strategies are working well and which are not.
- Your SEO efforts, even the successful ones, could be lost in the shuffle..
When is the best time to implement your SEO strategies? Probably when you start building your website (do not wait until you complete your site to get SEO started)!
Let’s share the strategies we implement for Web Design and SEO Singapore:
Before building your website…
Have a clear goal and get to know your target. Knowing what types of search engines it’s most important for your site to be ranked is very critical. Basically there are three types of search engine:
- Crawler-based search engines (e.g. Google) – uses an automated “software agent” (crawler) to visit, read and index websites;
- Human-powered search engines (sometimes known as directories) – rely on people to submit the information that is indexed and later returned as search results;
- Hybrid search engines – a combination of both crawler-based and human-powered search engines
When doing website design and development…
Understand and implement SEO-friendly components. Following are few (of course not all!) of the SEO page elements that need your highly attention:
- Text (keywords)
- SEO keywords placement within the text on your pages;
- Keyword density (the ratio of your keywords to the number of text on your page. There isn’t a rule on this but try to keep your keyword density around 5-7%);
- Keyword research. Make sure you do your homework at Google Keyword Planner!
- Test your keywords to examine how effective they are
- Title Tag (e.g. <title>SEO Company in Singapore</title>);
- Meta Description Tag – a short description to tell search engines what your page is all about;
- Heading Tags H1 – H6 (e.g. <h1>Web Design Singapore</h1>). H1 tag is a “high-level heading” and is very important for crawler to “see” your website. Try to limit one H1 tag in one page
- Anchor Tags (also known as anchor text) – to create links for a user to navigate from one page to other pages.
- The links on your web pages MUST be related to the content of the page, and they must be active links. Get some tips about basic link building.;
- Many search engine include a criterion for the number of times users click on the websites that are returned in search results. The more often a site is clicked on from the search results, the higher the site will rank;
- With that, building buzz about your website can be one of your SEO strategies. make your site famous through advertisements, newsletter, email announments or through social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, etc etc…
After your site is built…
SEO is an ongoing internet marketing strategy. You need to spend time reviewing your practices, analyzing the results and making adjustment when necessary. To find out more about how to maintain your SEO, please feel free to visit the page: SEO Maintenance. Good Luck!
iproseo.com – SEO Singapore